Sunday, August 13, 2017

Weekly Goals 14/8/17

The film festival is over, so it's time for reality to set in again.  Which means I need to get my butt in chair and get writing again.

So...  Goal for this week is to do that.  I'm still a little sick, so I'm not going to push myself too hard, plus my partner is going into hospital today for surgery which means I'll be running around after the kids twice as much as usual.

So the main goal is to get rid of this cold once and for all.  I'm sick of being sick!

And the other goal is to sit down to write at least a couple of times.  Next week we can settle back into a more regular routine.

And now,  to finish off my little film festival reviews, here are the last three films I saw.

Kim Dotcom: Caught in the Web is a documentary about Kim Dotcom and the case against him.  It is very well balanced, offering commentary on the issues from all sides.  Dotcom comes off looking like a James Bond villain, more often than not, and it's hard to take him too seriously, but the issues this film raises around privacy and the internet are important ones to discuss.

The Beguiled is an utterly delightful Southern Gothic that walks a very fine line between being a parody of its own genre.  When Colin Farrell finds himself wounded and in the care of the seven women remaining at a girls' school during the Civil War, he doesn't know what he has got himself into.  Laugh-out-loud funny in places, and downright creepy in others, it is beautifully shot and features amazing performances from a steallar cast.

20th Century Women is an autobiographical film about filmmaker Mike Mills's mother and growing up in the 70s.  Annette Benning gives a fabulous performance as Dorothea, a single mother raising her teenage son.  Unsure she is able to give him everything he needs, she enlists the help of the girl next door and the slightly older punk-loving feminist living upstairs.  The results are perhaps not what she was hoping for...

What are your goals for this week.

3 comments:

  1. Hope you can kick the cold soon! Being sick isn't fun. Also- hope you are able to sit down and write a few times this week. :)

    Sounds like the film festival was tons of fun. Lots of great movies!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you know which one in that bunch interests me. Also, because I love Coppola's work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember hearing about The Beguiled. It sounded pretty good. I hope it gets released on Netflix or something.

    ReplyDelete